About the role
You will lead our team of hosts to curate the programme for our twice monthly Assemblies, working alongside our Events Manager to source exciting, innovative and thought provoking speakers and poets to inspire our community to live better, help often and wonder more.
You’ll also recruit and where necessary mentor and coach the volunteer hosts.
What you will be doing
- Coming up with fresh theme and programme ideas for our regular Assemblies
- Liaising with our Events Manager to source speakers and poets for our Assemblies
- Recruit and support a team of volunteer hosts
- Organise the hosting rota
- Provide buddying and mentor support to hosts as necessary
How much time will it normally take?
We anticipate that this role will require a commitment of 2 to 3 hours per week.
What support will be available?
You will meet fortnightly with other members of the co-ordination crew, where you will be able to share any concerns and be supported to carry out your role. You will also have access to a WhatsApp group.
In addition, you will work closely with the Events Manager and be able to bounce ideas off each other. You can expect to be able to delegate much of the administration of contacting potential speakers and poets to the Events Manager.
You will receive a volunteer handbook designed to help everyone access information easily and dip into to check things out.
What should I be able to do?
These are the skills and experiences that will be useful for you as a hosting team lead:
- Be able to offer fresh, creative ideas for themes, speaker and poets
- Be able to work effectively as part of a team, delegating tasks as appropriate
- Be able to present with confidence
- Be able to mentor and coach others
- Be able to provide feedback, both development and strength based
- Be able to maintain a simple database using Airtable (don’t worry if you’ve never used Airtable before, we’ll be happy to show you around!)
What will I learn?
You can expect to develop your presentational skills and your experience in curating events around a theme. In addition, you’ll be able to build your own skills by supporting other hosts, growing your experience of coaching and of giving effective feedback.
What do I do if I want to apply for this role?
The first step is to have a chat with the co-ordination crew lead, Gwawr. Drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or find me at an assembly, and we’ll arrange a chat.