Over the next few weeks we’re going to share with you the documents that make up the basis of Sunday Assembly Everywhere. The three most important ones are the Public Charter of the Sunday Assembly, this explains who we are and what we’re doing, the Road Map for new Assemblies, that shows the path from wanting an Assembly to starting your own, and the Accreditation Model, that allows us to let other people start their own, while ensuring we can step in if an Assembly starts sacrificing children or somesuch.
The easiest document for us is the charter, which you can see below. This explains who we are, and what we’re trying to do. We’ll give it to all assemblies as a nice poster that can go on the wall, or something like that, that way everyone who joins the Sunday Assembly will be clear about our values, motto and mission.
Just reading this makes me super happy. Imagine an entire organisation dedicated to making this happen! What? That’s the best organisation in the world. Person: Hey, what does Sunday Assembly do?. Us: We make people be all the person they can be. WTFH (What the flipping heck?)? It is the best thing you could possibly dedicate your life to. That and watching this or this.
Read on for….
The Sunday Assembly Public Charter
The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrate life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.
We are here for everyone who wants to:
- Live Better. We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be
- Help Often. Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other
- Wonder More. Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
The Sunday Assembly
- Is 100% celebration of life. We are born from nothing and go to nothing. Let’s enjoy it together.
- Has no doctrine. We have no set texts so we can make use of wisdom from all sources.
- Has no deity. We don’t do supernatural but we also won’t tell you you’re wrong if you do.
- Is radically inclusive. Everyone is welcome, regardless of their beliefs – this is a place of love that is open and accepting.
- Is free to attend, not-for-profit and volunteer run. We ask for donations to cover our costs and support our community work.
- Has a community mission. Through our Action Heroes (you!), we will be a force for good.
- Is independent. We do not accept sponsorship or promote outside businesses, organisations or services
- Is here to stay. With your involvement, The Sunday Assembly will make the world a better place
- We won’t won’t tell you how to live, but will try to help you do it as well as you can
- And remember point 1… The Sunday Assembly is a celebration of the one life we know we have
What should you expect from a Sunday Assembly event?
Just by being with us you should be energised, vitalised, restored, repaired, refreshed and recharged. No matter what the subject of the Assembly, it will solace worries, provoke kindness and inject a touch of transcendence into the everyday.
But life can be tough… It is. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, we have moments of weakness or life just isn’t fair. We want The Sunday Assembly to be a house of love and compassion, where, no matter what your situation, you are welcomed, accepted and loved.
Most of all, have fun, be nice and join in.
See? It’s fantastic. Please leave a comment if you have a question, though I’m sure you’ll mostly want to tell us how great it is (I hope you will).